[meteorite-list] 10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Own A Meteorite!

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:03:24 -0600

Rhonda wrote:

"I'm not sure you have to have a metorite in your
posession to be in love with metorites ... want
the first one to be special and I can't figure out what
exactly it should be."

Dear Rhonda and List friends,

This was one topic that was (for me) really not meteorite related at all,
that is, until this thoughtful post. No one asks why there are so few women
coin collectors, train spotters, or chess players, yet so many women
beachcombers, molecular biologists, and knitters... Nor where are the
sub-Saharan African or Asian mainland collectors ...

...but what you said is universal. To some degree most appreciative owners
of meteorites start out and still remember if they are fortunate (and most
do: to the point of reveling in the romance of that memory). I hope you
won't mind if I call you a meteorite maiden in the most beautiful moment of
ageless enthusiasm. There is nothing wrong with never having a meteorite
until the time is right. I'd like to share my experience with this:

The first meteorite IS just like the first kiss - special, elevating, and a
unique moment of happiness to be treasured forever. My first time was from
an aging hunter who placed it in my trembling and hands as he said: "This is
a meteorite. This is the fusion crust, this is the interior and these are
chondrules, and I picked this up after I heard it falling from the night sky
many kilometers away." He also had a moldavite which he told me: "this, too
is a meteorite, but it is made of glass." I took it in my sweaty hands and
tried to hide my emotions, but I couldn't. We met in a cafe and one by one
he unwrapped and showed me his space treasures and I handed them back after
embarrassingly long gazes into these rocks which, could really have been
anything, but this was an honest person and still as enthusiastic as the day
he began over 30 years before. That's when he picked up the fresh and rare
specimen shortly after its fall.

I still remember I was so impressed that when two pieces were backed up in
this wondrous show and tell, I refused a third, just to take care that he
would know that I was careful and that none of his meteorites would get
misplaced or walk away and assure him I was respectful of unearthly
collection. I remember how he handled these briskly enough to make me
nervious that something terrible should befall them, yet I was so concerned
should the most minor spec get separated from one. My favorites were two:
The moldavite, and the one he picked up freshly fallen.

I dawdled longest with my prolonged staring at these, trying to look
intelligent, but blissfully ignorant and just unable to fathom how fortunate
I was to be sitting in his company in that cafe with his space treasures and
stories wrapped in newspapers pulled out of a little bag. As I handed the
exquisitly sculpted moldavite back (which, incidentally had been a gift from
Mr. DuPont), I paused just a little bit longer to get the chondrite he found
in the right light for a last goodbye, and then the moment came to surrender
it, tenderly cupped in my hand. My "mentor", a man who I had never met
before and had just invited out for coffee closed my hand around the tiny
specimen and said he would very much like that I kept it, and thanked me
profusely for the cup of coffee and slice of cake.

I could not believe this and at first I couldn't accept something so special
but the more he insisted the more inside myself this warm feeling welled up
inside as I realized I was actually going to take home this incredible
miracle that was kin to what I spent years looking at in the night skies
yearning with my father, at a very young age.

If you saw the animated movie Ratatouille - it was the moment that the Peter
O'Toole restaurant critic character first tasted his vegetables! He finally
learned what the best chef in France truly meant when he said "Anyone can
cook". Not that just anyone could prepare food (as he first thought and
angrily objected) ... but rather that cooking was not restricted to any
group regardless of appearances. The "anyone" was anyone who could dig deep
into his heart and find their inner love for what cooking represents and how
it can be enjoyed.

So after my own foray down meteorite lane, I'd couldn't recommend any
"first" meteorite - no, that's not the route. The bestest first meteorite
will be the one that you are given (please don't buy it from eBay - though
that's a great place for those who've been around the block more than a few
times), and if you are lucky it will be from a friend or loved one who you
appreciate. That decision can be made on their own with you in mind, and
subject totally to chance encounters. That will turn your piece more
beautiful than the finest diamond. I would not trade my first one gram
meteorite for its weight in brilliant diamond ... (which is 5 carats). It
truly is priceless!

Best wishes and Great Health,
Doug