[meteorite-list] Craters and impact pits in my databases

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2008 18:47:01 UT

Hello "Craterists" and "Impact Pit-ists"

A search for "impact pit" in my databases yielded these results:

1) Akyumak, IVA

A mass of between 45 and 50 kg fell, with associated light and sound
effects, making an impact pit 50 cm in diameter and about 90cm deep.

2) Binningup, H5

An almost completely crusted stone weighing 488.1 grams landed within
4-5 metres of two sunbathers on the beach and excavated an impact pit
30 cm in diameter and 15 cm deep in soft sand.

3) Kaidun, CR2

A single mass of 841.6 g was recovered from a small impact pit

4) Maryville, L6

A single crusted mass weighing 1443 gr was found in a small impact pit

5) Odessa (iron)

The largest, measuring about 75 feet in diameter, was only 75 feet from the
main crater. The other two craters, 200 feet away, are impact pits measuring
about 10 feet in diameter.

6) Pannikin. L6

Two fragments, 10.4 g and 3.2 g, were found in a distinct impact pit

7) Sikhote-Alin

.. more than 100 impact pits and craters had been charted ...

8) Ste. Marguerite, H4

Six fragments of a mass of 4.95 kg were found in an impact pit 45 cm deep.

9) Tjerebon, L5

It made an impact pit one foot deep and one half foot wide.
The impact pit of the 8 kg main mass was found 2 days later ...

Best,

Bernd