[meteorite-list] What doesn't this list use an onlineforum format?

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:19:18 EST

In a message dated 2/21/2008 3:37:53 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
riffraff at timewarp.de writes:
Hi Del & Greg,

If you visit the meteoritecentral site (the home of this list), and check
your own subscription settings you will notice that there is an option to
deactivate email delivery for times such as vacation - it's just one click,
and you won't have to wade through hundreds of emails after your return. And
then there is the digest mode, and much more. Yeap, mailing lists did evolve
during the last decade, and they are surely not "out of time" ,-)
To me, being part of this list is like walking into my favorite pub after
work. I often meet old friends, make new friends, and I'm free to
participate in discussions, and I'm free to relax or to listen to all the
meteorite gossip going on. Sometimes there's even a good deal to be had, or
firsthand information on new finds and falls that would be hard to find
without having to search the net for hours and hours. And if I don't like a
post or a thread there's always the good old delete key.
Forums can be neat, for sure - but they are usually more like that modern
type of bar with separate rooms where some folks get together at this, and
others on that table. Most of the meteorite forums I've visited thus far are
lacking the chaotic but familiar charm of this list. Thanks to Art for all
his efforts to keep this good old list up and running!

Cheers,
Norbert

Exactly, Norbert.
Very good comparison. I like the email format too and have no problem
following some threads, and ignoring others.

Maybe we should also try to remember that this is Art's List, and we are
guests.
And that information, news, gossip, fellowship (and even disagreements)
comes to us with very little effort from any of us.
Only the use of the Delete key every now and then. OK! yes, sometimes the
highly repeated use of the Delete key.

Thanks Art, nice seeing you in Tucson.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com