[meteorite-list] What doesn't this list use an online forum format?

From: Lasse Lindh <3l_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:22:00 +0100

Hi all

I've been using forums since they were mailing lists and a part of the
BBS way back in ancient times in the 80:ies. Mailing lists are great
since they allow you to read an answer in piece at home. They were great
when most people had phone dial modems. Today, when we are graphically
spoiled by nice looking forums and less people have phone dial modems,
at least here in Europe, they tend to overtake the mailing lists. If
that is good or bad, I let the user deside.

But online forums have one benefit over mailing lists and that is,
unless the forum structure is bad, it's easier to follow threads and
like Gary said it's a lot nicer to see all those beautiful images. But
other than that, it's the information och people sharing their
experoience and knowledge that is the most important thing.

For me they can both coexist. I like them both...

Regards

Lasse