[meteorite-list] How many oriented meteorites?

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:14:01 -0800 (PST)

Hello All,

Nininger's figures come from his book, "A Photographic
Study of Surface Features - Part II
Orientation". On page xiv of the Introduction,
Nininger states: "Orientation appears to be more
prevalent among the nickel-iron variety of meteorites
than among stony meteorites. A survey of some 7,000
individual meteorite fragments showed 28 percent of
the irons to be oriented, while only 5 percent of the
stones showed evidence of orientation. This is due to
the greater specific graviety of irons, that results
in their maintaining higher velocities throughout
longer flights than stony meteorites. Also, because
of their greater strength, iron meteorites may be less
prone to disruption."

Nininger found a high percent of the Estherville Ni-Fe
"pellets" to show orientation features. I don't know
if he included these in his calculations.

All the best,
Frank