[meteorite-list] Michael Cottingham's BATH FURNACE

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2008 18:58:45 UT

Hello All, ...

. and especially those who already own (Don Edwards, for example)
or have purchased pieces from M.C. My three Bath Furnace specimens
(2.56 + 0.38 + 0.37 grams) arrived today and after my first quick
look at them under the micoscope at 8x mag. I almost believe that
a reclassification of this historic L6 chondrite is overdue.

If this material is genuine (which I have to assume), it looks more like
an L4-5 or an L5 fragmental breccia. The 2.56-gram slice has way too
many chondrules to be a run-of-the mill, ordinary L6 chondrite.

One of the smaller specimens does look like an L6 chondrite though.
Hmmm, ... maybe an L4-6???

What about the others who have bought specimens from MC?
Any input would be appreciated!

Bernd