[meteorite-list] Need a meteorite picture repository

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:39:30 -0700

Hi Michael, Edward, Steve, etc.

All of those free photo sites are nice, but there are too many of them and
therefore everyone's photos are scattered all over the web. Even if
everyone adds a URL link to their photos in an e-mail and posts it to this
list, it's a major pain in the butt. That's what many of us don't want.
For example, if someone joins our list tomorrow and is looking for photos of
Sikhote Alin, they have no way to go back and search through all of the list
e-mails for Sikhote Alin photos links that were uploaded to Flickr or
Webshots 3 or 6 or 9 months ago... unless there is a search function in our
list's archives (I couldn't find one). Even if there were a search
function, it would still be a pain to go look at some on Flickr, then go to
Webshots, then go to Picassa, etc. Too much jumping around. So, they
should all be in a centralized location.

Jason, Rob and Norbert all mentioned the Encyclopedia of Meteorites website.
>From what I've seen on it in just the few minutes that I've looked at it,
that DOES seem to be a good place to post meteorite (or meteorite-related)
photos, so maybe it has most/all of the features I was inquiring about. I
had heard about the Encyclopedia of Meteorites a year ago, but personal
photo collections are not what I would expect in an encyclopedia, so I
didn't even think to look there.

Thanks all!

Bob