[meteorite-list] not an add more a comment on the haphazard and somewhat ludicrous export laws in oz

From: Bob WALKER <qwalkra_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:34:10 +1000

Listoids

I've received export approval for Tenham in less than an hour - it would
have been quicker had I just telephoned directly...

And yet in other cases it has to meander through a different administrative
path and take 6 to 8 weeks - more if there is a dissenting opinion from an
expert examiner and heaven forbid how long an appeal would take

Its a mess here in Australia - Martin Altmann stated it succintly in his
usual pithy manner when he said Australia is doomed to be a backwater from a
historical perspective

I'm damned if I know if there is anything that can be done - some of the
current personalities who run the museum roosts have opinions that
meteorites are not something that should be held in public hands and are
unwilling to admit that the endstate of their opinions has been unfortunate
in the long run

Ciao

http://www.qmig.org