[meteorite-list] Aussie Meteorite Rant...was sale ofscorpionbight main mass by http://qmig.org

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:19:05 +0100

Hi Al,

yes it is a dramatic regress in Australia. Science there really suffers from
the restrictive laws.

7 meteorites in 10 years there.

Look at the picture of the day, what a fine stone Moni found.
She alone as an occasional weekend hunter in their home deserts has found
more new meteorites than all the expeditions of a whole decade on a whole
continent, carried out by institutes and universities in Australia!

If I check the Bulletin database,
there are listed fort he same time 278 (!) new falls and finds in USA,
where the regulations are more liberal.
And they are classified, hence from each find a deposit and a type specimen
are now in the institutions.

I don't know, I'm a layman with no degree in mineralogy or planetology
and I'm not the most intelligent one
- but these figures are so simply to understand and it is really not
difficult to find them out
- so I ask, why nobody of the Australians is the same worried like me
and why there are still attempts by some scientists to restrict the
meteorite scene in other countries in the same way.

Obviously they aren't list members......

Strange.
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----