[meteorite-list] Caveat Emptor: Beware of Bob Evans!

From: Norbert Classen <riffraff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:55:18 +0100

Hi Al, and All,

Even if Bob Evan's tells you where he got his items from you can't bet that
it's the truth. Several IMCA members got burned in their dealings with Bob
Evans, and we had the doubtful pleasure to investigate quite a few of these
cases on the IMCA Board of Directors. I still have a special email folder
with hundreds of mails regarding this subject.

Bob, you wrote: "Misrepresent ? Never !" Hmmm, how does it come that the
alleged source of your Tilden, for example, says that he never had this
meteorite, just to name one incidence? I know, you said that you didn't
recall that correctly, like in several other cases. Hard to believe, if you
ask me. If I have a look at my meteorites I can usually tell you where I got
this or that sample, especially when it comes to the rare or special ones.

You also wrote: "NWA 1110 - Adams efforts to comletely control certain areas
of the market". Hmm, even if it would have been Adam's intent to "control
certain areas of the market" this wouldn't give you the right to sell
unclassified stuff as something that has a clearly defined TKW and
classification. Stating possible pairings is one thing, selling something
for something else is an entirely different affair. And it shows that you
aren't taking things too seriously when it comes to proper labeling
practices.

I could go on for a while, but it's wasted time trying to convince you that
you made even one single mistake. And that's always alarming, especially if
the responses to legit questions are insulting and abusive.

Caveat Emptor!
Norbert Classen
President IMCA Inc.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----