[meteorite-list] Caveat Emptor: Beware of Bob Evans!

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:28:36 -0800 (PST)

Dear List,

Bob Evans made the following statement which is completely untrue:

NWA 1110 - Adams efforts to comletely control certain areas of the market.

My response:
Bob took it upon himself to steal NWA numbers from honest dealers in order to promote untested and unproven material. Every piece that I have ever sold with an NWA number originating from The Hupe Collection has been examined by scientists so collectors and researchers know precisely what they are getting.

I argue vehemently, as now do some scientists, when dealers use numbers that are not assigned to their stones. This is not only to protect my interests, it is to protect those who have invested in legitimate pieces. In most cases, I have been completely sold out of an item with an NWA number assignment and will continue to point out infractions. Collectors deserve to know what they are getting and that the pieces they purchased have been examined by qualified scientists.

Another disturbing note:
I have noticed lately that a number of so-called "reputable" dealers are using approved nomenclature for stones that have never been examined by a qualified research institution. They claim that the Moroccans are providing them with the NWA numbers. Any reputable dealer knows better than to let a Moroccan pass out NWA number assignments and there is no excuse for not having these pieces studied. Dealers using numbers not assigned to their stones only serve to destabilize the market and hurt collectors who have honest specimens with good provenance.

On a positive note:
Scientists are now quick to point out these indiscretions and this practice is deemed unacceptable. Many scientists are now members of the IMCA which has gone a long way in promoting proper ethics and establishing authenticity.

Bob Evans, lacking any sense of a moral compass, is the kind of character that does a lot harm to this great avocation.

Best Regards,

Adam