[meteorite-list] Ad New Canadian Meteorite for sale

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:17:36 -0500

Hi Carl,

Yes-yes, of course this is about rarity, but the valuation of
meteorites frequently has so much to do with circumstances of the fall
and recovery, and that's where it's not quite the same as other
collectibles. There are dozens and dozens of really colorful examples
which underscore this dynamic. The notion of rarity is not intrinsic
to scientific importance. A-L-L-E-N-D-E. And to use your example, if
Carancas occurred in Africa is it worth more or less? Canada or
Montana? Detroit or Corsica? And if in Corsica, what about if it
occurred in Bastia or instead fell on a nude beach in front of a crowd?

In short, if you accept there are a host of variables determining
valuations, the "added value" of a bolide video makes that meteorite
worth more. And then it only seems to follow---everything else being
the same--that a spectacular video would render a higher valuation for
the material than a mediocre video.

With this in mind, even if there are 100 kg of material of the
Canadian event, it's my opinion that it's worth more than $10/g.

Thanks for your thoughtful note and I hope meteorite collecting
provides you with a great source of enjoyment.

All best / Darryl