[meteorite-list] Ad New Canadian Meteorite for sale

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:43:46 -0500

Jason, Darryl & All,
Darryl is right. This "industry" is famous for pricing/value issues. Many
dealers (not all, of course...just many) have brought new material to the
market, sold it for a premium to make their profit, then dumped the
remaining material once the market has been satisfied as if this were the
retail clothing business (will provide an explanation here if it's needed)
on countless occasions. It's hard to imaging that this might inspire
confidence in a serious collector. The "low-end numbers" part of Darryl's
email is secondary to this, and it's not clear which numbers he's referring
to within the framework of this discussion, anyway. Government intervention
-- such as is present in Canada -- has a way of adding to the chaos around
specimen value (and generating some tragedies along the way, a la Tagish
Lake), too. It's great that Sonny and McCartney were hunting this fall
early, and hopefully as this continues to happen the message about the
importance of recovering material and the need for a strong incentive to
make that possible gets out. International laws regarding meteorite
recovery and export have virtually all been established as a bolt-on package
to other legislation around artifacts, etc, and for the most part these
decisions have been made by officials who have probably never even seen a
meteorite (let alone developed an understanding of the field and related
relevant issues). Back to values and suppliers contacting collectors
directly in the North African falls: this is illustrative of the near
absence of a conventional distribution channel, and there is risk that comes
with acquiring material in that manner. The internet has made it possible
for just about anyone to be a dealer and these challenges will likely
continue to fester until an international organization truly establishes
some standards in this arena around verifiable provenance, prioritizing
meteorite recovery over politics, proper curation, collection transfer
protocol and the like.
Dave
www.fallingrocks.com