[meteorite-list] Ad New Canadian Meteorite for sale

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:30:43 EST

In a message dated 12/6/2008 5:01:12 P.M. Central Standard Time,
meteoriteguy at yahoo.com writes:
I highly doubt it will be in Tucson, if it is then it is illegal, and I
would not touch it. India doesnt scare me much, but Canada sent people to Tokyo
two years back to look for fossils. They don't play games.
I doubt the meteorite will oxidize much, at these temps, there is no more
liquid water so they should be perfectly preserved for the most part.
Michael Farmer
***********

All,

Richard Herd, from the Canadian National Collection has been known in years
past for going around to all of the meteorite dealer's rooms in Tucson
looking for illegally exported Canadian Meteorites.

I don't think he has ever found any, and if he did, I am not sure what legal
recourse could be taken. But I doubt he would be taking the time to look if
there wasn't something they could do if he got lucky.

If there is anything for sale in Tucson, it will probably be under the
tightest of secrecy, and I doubt any dealer would offer a C.O.A. specimen ID card
with them, thus the provenance would be lost, and you might as well be buying
a Juanchenge.

Now, you might find some local Canadians finders, who might find it
worthwhile to smuggle specimens over the border who might show up in Tucson, eh?

Some deals out of the trunk of a rental car might go down in the parking
lots, since someone not in the business, without a reputation to risk, might
want to dump some cheap for some fast cash. But don't expect any in Michael
Blood's auction.

Again, with no documentation, and no export permits, I doubt many collectors
will want to pay even 20% of a legit retail value. If they are going to be
selling for $10/g later, MAYBE someone would pay $2/g for illegal booty, but
I doubt it. Why?

Unless one has a morbid desire to "stick it" to the Canadians, there would
be little satisfaction since one couldn't tell anyone about it.

OK, on second thought, there might be a few people who would want to "stick
it to the Canadians" so maybe $3/g might be possible in the back alley's of
the wild west of Tucson... :-)

However, we are maybe more likely to see the new Canadian rocks being sold
as some totally other fall.

What if all of a sudden we see (North North American) NNA 001 and NNA 002
specimens submitted for classification with vague find coordinates??? I think
the Nomenclature Committee is on record as saying they are NOT in the
business to police the various nation's meteorite laws. It will be interesting if
the Canadians would have more clout in making a case than the Algerian or
Libyan's have been able to in getting that policy changed.

I think the legal export papers, showing legal title, will add a substantial
value to the rocks if and when they are allowed to come out.

Steve Arnold #1
www.SteveArnoldMeteorites.com