[meteorite-list] Ad New Canadian Meteorite for sale

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 02:14:19 +0100

Humm,

Villalbeto, Moss, La Mancha/La Pice, Carancas, Cali, Zunhua, Hosur.....

to me there seems to be an evident trend, that new falls get much higher
paid, than all the years before. 4 of the world-record prices for new falls
happened the recent few years.

Exceptions are the nevertheless marvellous falls from North-Africa.

So 50$ appears not so unusual to me.

Who offers first, makes the pace.
Whether this price is more justified or less justified won't depend on the
tkw which will be recovered, it will depend on how much material will be
allowed to be exported. Two main price factors exist for a meteorite. Type
of course, but the same important: availability.

Pattern for new falls:
1) First expensive - few offerers, collectors worried to miss out...
2) Falling prices, more providers, more material
3) Raising prices, often up to a level higher to the first offers, cause the
stuff has gone.

Speed, with which that happens, depends on how much material is set free and
on how many sellers get involved.

In worst case, step 2 won't take place.

But that's nothing new, all know that.

So you can hope with the new fall, that large quantities will be exported
or/and that Heence&Koons get some in, so that it ends offered by many
collectors and on ebay too,
and if you're lucky, you will catch it at 5$ or 10$.

But you can be not so lucky, in waiting, waiting....and only smaller
quantities will hit the market, and after a while you will have to pay more
than 50$, cause most could have been gone.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----