[meteorite-list] pronouncing "Orgueil"

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:24:19 +0200

Carl Esparza wrote:

Haag pronounces Orgueil " or gay."
Not so.
If you pronounce it "or gay", nobody will understand here (although I know
that whenever Bob brings along some Orgueil, it is sold before unwrapped!)

Basing on pronouncing dyphtongs in French (last link in Darren's post - see
below; thanks Darren!), it comes to:

"Org ?j"

as in the wikipedia example: /?j/ as in feuille "leaf"

btw: "orgueil" as common name, also means in Franch: "pride" or "arrogance"...

This being, I agree that writing phonetic pronounciations in any language
is far from being a simple task.
How about oral records ?
Who can handle that ?

I stay ready to help for French names

Best,

Zelimir
A 11:28 25/04/2008 -0400, Darren Garrison a ?crit :