[meteorite-list] Vintage Unitron Metallurgical Microscope

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:39:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks!

While shopping for a microscope today, I ran across
this rare Unitron metallurgical microscope. I will
admit, if my PayPal warchest was fully primed, this
post would be "LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT!", but I have to
pass on it now because I have too many meteoritical
irons in the fire, so to speak.

This is one of the top of the line Unitron microscopes
and this is only the second one I have ever seen in my
several years of buying and restoring old microscopes
and telescopes. I have never seen one in this
complete
and excellent condition. I share this link because
I thought that someone here in the group might be
able to appreciate such a fine vintage optic.

For the record - I have no connection whatsoever to
the seller. I found this auction by chance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250238739589

Ideally, this is the type of microscope I am looking
for currently, but with a smaller price tag. My
stepson repossessed the microscope I had borrowed from
him (a newer Meade), so now I am shopping for an older
Lafayette/Selsi/Tasco/Unitron/Atco microscope. If
someone has one available, here are my criteria :

1) all metal construction, including the focus knobs.
No plastic or phenolic knobs please - these date from
a later period when optical quality was slipping.

2) Wooden storage case with felt-lined wood dividers -
no styrofoam present, as that type also dates from the
later period.

3) Binocular head desirable but not necessary.

4) Working mechanical stage and iris diaphragm
preferred.

Make me an offer for one. I have cash and/or trade,
including meteorites and optics.

Regards,

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Website - http://www.glassthrower.com/meteorites
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/fine_meteorites_4_sale