[meteorite-list] Fwd: Pronouncing Willamette and other meteoritenames

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 01:40:25 -0400

Hi Chris, Darren,?
?
No comment on the Americanization or Anglification, but?
Allende is a proper surname and spliting the L's like Darren?
mentioned ("Al-len-de") goes a little beyond beyond what?
would seem reasonable. Alas, as long as everyone has?
their subjective criteria, and all understand, it becomes like?
scientific names in Latin. No one remembers the "right"?
pronunciation and it is an unrelated linguistic acrobatics to?
even guess what it might have been. That said, pronun-?
ciation might be more flexible for buyers and less so for?
sellers ;)?
?
I guess there is nothing wrong with calling Washington:?
Watch-een-toe, in the bilingualized USA, but it might not?
get you elected, then again, nowadays, maybe it would...?
?
For those who enjoy doing as the Romans, Allende locally?
is not pronounced locally as "ah-JEN-de", though it is in?
parts of the Southern cone. I bet that there is a British?
vs. American gem somewhere that would bring this closer?
to home.?
?
How many are "guilty" of camping for Campos when?
it sounds more like compost. And maybe Cielo really should?
sound like Jello or Chello...depending on who says it...?
?
I'd write "ah-YEN-de", just to avoid turning it into an ending?
like "-dey" or similarly "-day" though I understand the "y"?
polices the "e" for English speakers. to keep it from sounding?
like the River Dee, but also overly prolongs the last syllable.?
?
Saludos,?
Doug?
(ok back to work)?