[meteorite-list] Chondrule close up!

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:26:05 -0500

Hi, Darren, List,

Ceres is not a Chondrule! It's a Clay-drule!

The interesting thing about the photo is that it makes
Ceres look a little like Mars, doesn't it? Here's what we
can say about a surface we can't see yet... until Dawn
gets there in February, 2015, less than 7 years to go...

So, what's on that surface?

1988:
    Surface roughness much greater than the Moon:
"far in excess of the Lunar value..."
    Change in physical properties at a depth of 3 cm,
is microregolith, gardened regolith, or undifferentiated.
    "Surface has properties of a finely divided, dry (<20%
water) terrestrial clay..."
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1988AJ.....95.1263W&amp;data_type=PDF_HIGH&amp;whole_paper=YES&amp;type=PRINTER&amp;filetype=.pdf

Icarus, 2006:
    Comes down against ammonia magnesium clays, says
iron-rich clays and carbonates, dolomite, calcite
http://irtfweb.ifa.hawaii.edu/~elv/icarus185.563.pdf
    "Tomeoka and Buseck (1985) outlined a multi-step aqueous
alteration sequence for carbonaceous chondrites. Cronstedtite
is the dominant alteration product partway through the sequence,
which continues on to make more magnesium-rich phyllosilicates
as the iron enters magnetite. Further laboratory studies also
found cronstedtite to be more indicative of earlier rather than
later stages of alteration (Browning et al., 1996). If Ceres is
dominated by iron-rich rather than magnesium-rich clays,
and if there really is, or was, a subsurface ocean, the implication
is that the surface of Ceres did not experience aqueous alteration
to completion, despite the apparent availability of large amounts of
water, and that its surface had limited exchange with the interior.
This is consistent with the modeling of McCord and Sotin (2005)
which predicts ice in the outer 10 km of Ceres would remain
frozen, although they note that the frozen crust would be
gravitationally unstable and likely overturn, melt, and refreeze.
A more detailed consideration of aqueous alteration in the
outermost portion of Ceres' crust is beyond the scope of
this work."

The important point: the surface is fresh and is renewed faster
than carbonaceous chondrites equilibrate. It has geologic
re-cycling on a short geological time scale. The frozen crust
overturns? They interpret this as a lack of geological activity
but it could just as easily be a result of continous geological
activity! (See below.)

2005:
http://www.cosis.net/abstracts/EGU05/10256/EGU05-J-10256.pdf
    "...the spectrum of Ceres at UV-visible is characterized
by an absorption band centered at about 280 nm, with the
width of about 100 nm, and about 30% of the reflectance
at 555 nm. This absorption feature could be due to a charge
transfer or a semi-conductor band, and is present in the
spectra of many iron-bearing minerals and salts.
    The roughness of Ceres is unusually high, and not consistent
with the results measured from the ground [4], but consistent
with what is inferred by IR observations [7]. Radar observations
also indicate a surface that is very rough at scales larger than
meters or tens of meters but very smooth at centimeter to
decimeter scales [8]. Therefore, if the high roughness is real,
the surface of Ceres must be made of very smooth materials,
either like the surface of ice or deposited by very fine grained
particles, but saturated with craters at the sizes of tens of
meters to kilometers, even while it is globally relaxed.

Degraded craters with smooth clay "mudflats" with a little
snow drifted over it?

2005:
    The Europeans think it's "blacktopped"!
http://www.aanda.org/index.php?option=article&access=standard&Itemid=129&url=/articles/aa/full/2005/24/aa2506-04/aa2506-04.html
    "The 3 m absorption feature was not detected, implying
the absence of OH and/or H2O-bearing minerals on the
asteroid surface at the latitude of our observations. The
spectrum of 1 Ceres was obtained in the 2.0-4.1 m range
and the presence of the 3.06 m absorption feature confirmed.
Laboratory measurement of ion-irradiated organics and ices
suggest that the 3.06 m feature can be reproduced with a
linear mixture of crystalyne ice and residues of ion-irradiated
asphaltite."

Important to point out here that crystaline ice is an indication
of "fresh" ice, otherwise known as SNOW. I don't know what
the skiing is like, but it snows, so there must be ice geysers,
fog, mist, clouds, something like that, on Ceres. The "asphalite"
could be degraded "tholins;" see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tholin
Since tholins are reddish, they may account for the red tint we
see in those images.

1999:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=615886&id=3&qs=Ne%3D20%26N%3D4294841293%26Ns%3DHarvestDate%257C0
    "Thermal emission spectra of the largest asteroid 1 Ceres
obtained from the Kuiper Airborne Observatory display
features that may provide information on its surface mineralogy.
A plot of the Ceres spectrum (calibrated using alpha Boo as
a standard) divided by a standard thermal model (STM) is
shown. Also shown is the emissivity spectrum deduced
from reflectivity measurements for olivine grains less than
5 microns in diameter. The general shape of the Ceres and
the olivine curves agree in essential details, such as the maxima
from 8 to 12 microns, the minimum between 12 and 14 microns,
the broad peak near 17.5 micron, and the slope beyond 22
micron. (Use of the 10 to 15-micron grain reflectivities provides
a better match to the 12- to 14-micron dip. We used a value of
unity for beta, the beaming factor associated with small-scale
surface roughness in our STM. Adjustment of beta to a lower
value raises the long-wavelength side of the Ceres spectrum,
providing an even better match to the olivine curve.) The
emissivity behavior roughly matches the emission coefficients
which were calculated for olivine particles with a particle radius
of 3 microns. Their calculations show not only the negative
slope from 23 to 25 pm, but a continued decrease past 30
micron. The Ceres emissivity is thus similar to that of small
olivine grains from 8 to 30 micron, but olivine's emissivity is
lower from 5 to 8 pm."

The surface also has small olivine grains. Does that mean
erosion of surface rock? Because if there were just olivine
grains laying about, the presence of water would rapidly
zap'em! So there must be continuous and reasonable rapid
erosion of olivine rock... More evidence of active geology...
There is a word for very small mineral grains. They're called
SAND. So far, we have clay, mud, rock, snow... and sand.

For comparison with another ice-rock (or rock-ice) body,
but much colder, the radar smoothness of Ganymede:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1975Sci...188.1211G
    "Radar cross-section measurements indicate that Ganymede
scatters to earth 12 percent of the power expected from a
conducting sphere of the same size and distance. This compares
with 8 percent for Mars, 12 percent for Venus, 6 percent for
Mercury, and about 8 percent for the asteroid Toro. Furthermore,
Ganymede is considerably rougher (to the scale of the wavelength
used, 12.6 centimeters) than Mars, Venus, or Mercury. Roughness
is made evident in this experiment by the presence of echoes away
from the center of the disk. A perfectly smooth target would reflect
only a glint from the center, whereas a very rough target would
reflect power from over the entire disk."

and

1979:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=904383&id=4&qs=No%3D10%26N%3D4294934111%26Ns%3DHarvestDate%257C0
    "Radar observations of asteroid 1 Ceres were made at a
12.6-cm wavelength from the Arecibo Observatory in March-
April 1977. The measurements, made with a received circular
polarization orthogonal to that transmitted, yield a radar cross
section of (0.04 or- 0.01) piR-squared, for R = 510 km. The
corresponding radar reflectivity is less than that measured for
any other celestial body. Within the accuracy of measurement,
no significant variation of cross section with rotational phase
is apparent. The shape of the power spectrum suggests that
Ceres is rougher at the scale of the observing wavelength than
the moon and inner planets, but smoother than the outer three
Galilean satellites."

    Ceres' scatter is 6%, smoother than Mars or the asteroid Toro
on the 0.12-meter scale (four inches).

General stuff about Ceres:

Astronomy magazine, September, 2005:
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=3478
    A good article on Ceres, it's internal structure,
and the shape of the planet in hydrostatic balance.

Centauri Dreams:
http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=1162
    Another good article (shorter) on Ceres, April, 2007.

McCord and Sotin, 2007:
Evolution of Ceres
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2007/pdf/2006.pdf
    The definite (?) paper on the planetary evolution of Ceres

July, 2007: Ceres As An Abode of Life:
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ceres_As_An_Abode_Of_Life_999.html
    Now, there's an idea!

What's it going to look like?

    Vostok Lake, Antarctica, in a Synthetic Aperture Radar image.
The deep waters are clearly revealed by their effect on the surface
topography. Could Ceres look like this? This is an icy surface
that has a thermal cycle somewhat similar to Ceres in its range,
that is, the climate, as far as temperature goes, at Vostok is
roughly the same as Ceres at the equator in the summer. Tropical!
http://www.esa.int/images/ASAR_Vostok_lake_13Mar2003_L.jpg

Pictures!

Big one:
http://www.spacedaily.com/images/ceres-hubble-2004-desk-1280.jpg

http://www.shatters.net/~impulse/pictures/ceres.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0608/ceres_hst_big.jpg

2006:
<http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17743823>
    "The highest resolution (pixel scale 30 km) images of Ceres
date have been acquired by the Advanced Camera for Surveys
onboard Hubble Space Telescope, through three wide band
filters, centered at 535, 335, and 223 nm, covering more than
one rotation of Ceres. The lightcurve at 535 nm agrees with
earlier observations at V-band [Tedesco, E.F., Taylor, R.C.,
Drummond, J., Harwood, D., Nickoloff, I., Scaltriti, F.,
Schober, H. J., Zappala, V., 1983. Icarus 54, 23-29] in terms
of magnitude, amplitude, and shape. The 0.04 magnitude
lightcurve amplitude cannot be matched by Ceres' rotationally
symmetric shape, and is modeled here by albedo patterns.
The geometric albedos at the above three wavelengths are
measured to be 0.087 ? 0.003, 0.056 ? 0.002, and 0.039 ? 0.003,
respectively. V-band geometric albedo is calculated to be
0.090 ? 0.003, consistent with earlier observations [Tedesco,
E.F., 1989. In: Binzel, R.P., Gehrels, T., Matthews, M.S. (Eds.),
Asteroids II. Univ. of Arizona Press, Tucson, pp. 1090-1138].
A strong absorption band (30%) centered at about 280 nm is
observed, but cannot be identified with either laboratory UV
spectra or the spectra of Europa or Ganymede. The single-scattering
albedo has been modeled to be 0.070 ? 0.002, 0.046 ? 0.002,
and 0.032 ? 0.003, respectively. The photometric roughness of
Ceres' surface is found to be about 44? ? 5? from photometric
modeling using Hapke's theory, consistent with earlier radar
observations [Mitchell, D.L., Ostro, S.J., Hudson, R.S.,
Rosema, K.D., Campbell, D.B., Velez, R., Chandler, J. F.,
Shapiro, I.I, Giorgini, J.D., Yeomans, D.K., 1996. Icarus 124,
113-133]. The first spatially resolved surface albedo maps of
Ceres at three wavelengths have been constructed from HST
observations, as well as the corresponding color maps. Eleven
surface albedo features are identified, ranging in scale from
40-350 km. Overall the range of these albedo and color variations
is small compared to other asteroids and some icy satellites."

And, pleasantly, one very strong spectral feature cannot be
identified, so there's something else there... Always good.
Maybe it's the tholins.

Summarize this?

Ceres has an active surface with a slow but ongoing hydrological
cycle. It shows exposed rock that is eroded to what is (in effect)
olivine sand. It snows there. At the equator at noon in the summer,
it gets warm enough for liquid water to briefly exist before evaporating;
it may have thin clouds. Blocks of icy crust get overturned, then
eroded, creating landscape relief, or maybe it's all craters, or maybe
it's both. The most of the (solid) surface is clay; there is something
else an inch or so down, or a change in density, to mudstones,
siltstones, or something else (?). There are organics on the surface
with all the potential that implies.

My last prediction? It's not going to look like any planetary surface
we've already seen. It's going to be a whole new thing.

Sterling K. Webb