[meteorite-list] By Popular Demand................

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:17:38 -0400

Hi Anne, Listees,

Until collectors start valuing a chain of title more than the naked
concept of authenticity, this looks like an uphill journey;). Anyway,
a partial chain of title might give some added comfort, but you hardly
can be sure until you have all the information from day one.
Especially when it is so far downstream.

I really can't understand the fixation on objects that have struck
biological or artificial things (though - it's a great tool to help
conserve provenance - and the epitome of this issue.) What I don't
understand is: if an eighth of a ton of material falls and a few pieces
of space gravel reputedly clang on a roof, etc. how does the entire
fall become "the one that hit the horse", etc.?

Can Santa Claus and his elves be recorded as a source? I thought he
built all of his presents in the Arctic ice somewhere. Like an
alchemist. Or, which dealers supply him? Seriously, frequently
meteorite gifts are given (an activity encouraged by many dealers) and
it is tacky to say where acquired - when all someone has to do is go on
a website to see what was paid, other more expensive ones (leads to I'm
not worth it, honey?), etc. And if someone got a present and then put
it on eBay, Santa might get his feelings hurt, if he were mentioned and
the seller might blush. I'm having fun with this post, but only to
point out another very serious challenge. People often like to be the
source of their gifts. You know the being "IT" syndrome - "having only
eyes for me". Maybe we need to work on "educating the public" against
this mild social taboo for this human patrimony, of not wanting their
loved ones to say they were the special ones that grabbed them the star
some enchanted evening.

Best wishes,
Doug