[meteorite-list] meteorites not being able to leave certain countries

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 23:47:37 EDT

Hello Steve #2,

The reason laws are passed to keep meteorites in a country
can be summed up in one word:

Money!

As the old saying goes: "Follar the Dollar." (Translation: that is
"Arkansas" for: "Follow the Dollar.")

While it is easy to tag commercial meteorite dealers with being
"greedy" don't let anyone fool you. If a country, such as Canada,
can keep a rare meteorite, such as Tagish Lake within it's own
boundaries, then ONLY Canadian scientists can get the grant
money to study that meteorite. Just ask any Canadian Meteorite
Scientist!

If a meteorite hunter is allowed to go in and find a new meteorite,
or if a local finder exports it and it is taken to another country to get
studied, then the other country gets the grant money.

I think one Canadian authority is on public record as saying
something to the effect that "the biggest mistake Mexico ever did
was allow ANY Allende to make it out of Mexico."

Of course that comment can't be justified in any other context
than the Mexican authorities let the millions, if not tens of
millions of dollars that have gone into Allende research "get away."

Never mind that the Science of Meteoritics has gained great
knowledge by hundreds of Allende research papers written by
hundreds of researchers all over the globe other than by the
hundreds of esteemed Mexican Meteorite Scientists.

Australia will let meteorites out that are not scientifically important,
or ones that they have enough of in local collections (read=
no more grant money will get away). And Canada has regulations
where their national institutions have a 6 month window to buy them
at "fair market value." So if something shows up and they don't want
to buy it (read= not enough grant money to justify the purchase)
then they can choose to let them go.

Now, can an argument be made that it is best for "Science" if
the meteorites get spread around to the BEST researchers on the
planet, not just the ones inside the respective county?

Sure.

But will national legislators care what is best for science?

Maybe. But probably not.

But who is available to step up and offer a countering view
point when laws are being drafted in these countries? One
or two local experts (who get grant money) will ask that
export restrictions be placed using any "politically correct"
reason, and it is a virtual "slam dunk."

One would think someone, right now, in Peru is trying to get
expanded laws passed, so the next time a crater forming fall occurs,
only the Peruvian Meteorite Scientists (is that an oxy-moron???)
will get the rocks and the grant money. So who is in Peru
right now making the argument that there might be better
scientists outside of Peru to do the needed research on future
falls?

I bet Mike Farmer could make that case, but, with all due respect
to Mike, unfortunately, I don't think the Peruvian Authorities respect
too much what he thinks.

And all that pre-supposes that any government cares what
is best for science. Most would gladly cooperate if an honest
case was made that the local scientists want the grant money!

After all, that is less money their governments have to come up
with if foreign money is invested instead.

I wonder if the Meteoritical Society has ever addressed this
issue? Of course virtually ALL the Meteoritical Society
members make their living via grant money or are paid by
institutions that are strongly supported by grant money.
Maybe they would not be the best people to ask to make
a stand for what would be best for the science. Then again,
maybe some members have already done so? Maybe someone
within the Society would like to jump into this thread and
state the "Official Position"?

And maybe there is another logical reason why meteorites
should not leave the political boundaries from which they
landed? I just can't seem to figure out what that might be.

Maybe if the Meteoritical Society would come out with an
"Official Position" that it is indeed best that NO national
laws be passed by any country restricting the trade of
meteorites, so that science can best be served, then that
might help prevent other countries from passing new stupid
laws.

Steve Arnold
Arkansas

In a message dated 4/13/2008 8:41:31 A.M. Central Daylight Time,