[meteorite-list] meteorites not being able to leave certain countries

From: Mark Crawford <mark_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 17:29:15 +0100

Utter rot.

Why should meteorites be different from any other cultural or scientific
heritage? Viewed from a slightly broader view than we sometimes do on
this list, meteorites are items of both financial and scientific value.
None of us have any god-given right to own them, whether they come from
Canada, Argentina, or (for that matter) the US.

In the absence of international treaty (such as with Antarctica), every
state has to make its own mind up how to handle these matters. Some may
choose to be laissez-faire; some may blanket ban export; some will
strike a reasonable middle path, and, say, permit export of material
once their own scientific establishments have had a chance to examine
and take samples.

If anything, we should perhaps be arguing for a /more/ uniform approach
to be taken, and that uniform approach to me wouldn't be a free-for-all.

Mark

--
Mark's Meteorite Pages: http://meteorites.cc