[meteorite-list] It was intuition ? OK ?

From: Mark Crawford <mark_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:34:17 +0100

One thing which I think the IMCA could do to give a lead here is some
kind of new collectors' guide. I joined about a year ago, not long
after I started collecting, as I correctly worked out that I'd want to
trade on some of my specimens at some point, and wanted to do as much as
possible to 'get it right'.

I think more by luck than judgement, my records meet the 'minimum level'
Mark G talks about - I log source and month of purchase, I keep all
CoAs, I also keep a photo of each specimen - taken from the eBay sale,
dealer's web site, wherever I've obtained it from. Despite this I know
there are a couple of mistakes for some of my earliest entries.

It may seem obvious to those who've been in the game for a while, but I
had to figure this out for myself - I didn't find any advice on
record-keeping. If I hadn't taken these steps from day one then my
collection would be substantially less valuable, but more to the point
the whole chain of provenance would have been broken while the material
was under my stewardship.

I think we all have a part to play when it comes to authenticity; some
kind of summary from IMCA to new members could go a little way to
addressing these points.

As ever, just my 2p worth...

--
Mark's Meteorite Pages: http://meteorites.cc