[meteorite-list] "How Do You Know It's A Meteorite"?

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 15:08:22 -0400

Hi Thomas,

A response you could give in a friendly way is, why is it that you don't
think it is a meteorite? Then go on with many of the tests that show
that it is, (because they probably won't truly know what a meteorite
is), tests positive for nickel (certain classes), has fusion or
weathered fusion crust, has metal in it (again most classes and most
specimens found), is irregular in shape, has rounded edges from ablation
through the atmosphere, looks different from the local rocks, interiors
are gray to dark brown in color, should or may attract a magnet, are
usually heavier than terrestrial rock (some basalts are about as heavy
as chondrites, tend to oxidize if they have been exposed to weather for
very long, usually don't have bubble like cavities (only rare
specimens), on a grounded edge will sometimes show little round
spheroids called chondrules (if an ordinary chondrite or carbonaceous),
meet most of the criteria above but not necessarily all of it.

Such a question is a common laymen's question and it is a good one but
they are questioning how you know. We know because we have had much more
experience with specimens and identifying them. The average person
doesn't know because they are not yet educated on how to know. Showing
many examples of meteorites (I keep it basic because you can confuse
them with too much variety) and showing them examples of most common
meteorwrongs is a good start with helping them to know the difference.
I've found that it takes a lot of practice (months or even a year or
more) before someone new can begin to identify specimens and you always
have to keep your eyes open for something totally off the wall that may
be new!! I.D. comes with some responsibility. If in question send a
small sample off to a qualified lab that will get back to you when they
are done. Best!

--AL Mitterling