[meteorite-list] "How Do You Know It's A Meteorite"?

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:57:58 -0500

>I always tell people that a particular found meteorite has the same
>characteristics and chemical makeup as the hundreds of witnessed falls
>that have been carefully studied by science. We know those came from
>outer space. "And this one in my hand matches those."

Hi Bob.

That is very similiar to what I generally say. I also add that the chemical
composition does not match any known Earth rock. The person
usually addes something to the effect that they know where "tons of rocks"
just like those can be found. To which I add, "great bring me one. I buy
it from you."

Haven't bought one yet!

-Walter Branch