[meteorite-list] RFS Picture of the Day - April 6, 2008: NWA 2651 Ureilite

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 06 Apr 2008 12:28:58 UT

http://www.rocksfromspace.org/April_6_2008.html

Hello John, Anne and List,

Beautiful thin section picture! Gorgeous colors! NWA 2651 is
described as being similar to NWA 2624, which I can definitely
confirm. When the Hup?s offered this ureilite with its large and
translucent pigeonite grains, I found them so fascinating that I
decided to buy three slices (3 + 3.8 + 4 grams) and I am glad I
did!

Of course, after receiving my slices, I immediately put one of these
under my microscope and took a photo of the large, limpid gem-like
pigeonites at 16x magnification and was surprised when I detected
what is described as "olivine is highly fractured with closely spaced,
subparallel fractures".

These subparallel, grayish "stripes" are easily recognizable and even
those "saw-tooth" grain edges are readily visible at 16x.

Best wishes,

Bernd