[meteorite-list] Atmospheric ablation marks on Tektites?

From: Sean T. Murray <stm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:25:54 -0400

Michael,

Yep - it's amazing that something so simple as a piece of glass has caused
so much churning for over 100 years. The vast majority agrees they are of
cosmic origin, most believe that they are from impacts on earth, but there
are still those that believe the moon is directly involved. I've also read
some other bizarre ideas - the coolest of them (to me) was the idea that the
reason tektites are not always formed is that maybe they come from the
impact of a huge ball of silica glass that slams into earth - A big
meteorite just made of glass... how cool would that be.

So far, everything I read simply states that tektites come from multiple
sources. And don't worry about the "noob" stuff - I've only been diving
into this for a few months, so I'll still say something way off base (as
Doug points out with my "still a lot of debate" comment.) It's almost
always wrong to make any general statement about tektites as a whole... the
LDG debate is still ongoing as to how it was formed, but most people tie it
to an impact event, and as an impactite. I've seen pictures (and have a few
pieces) of LDG that show some of the splash-form types of characteristics of
tektites, but nothing with a "crust" or a true regmaglypts.

- Tektite and impactite - different animals.

- LDG and Darwin glass - Terrestrial - it really helps that there are
inclusions that are of the local material stuck in them. They also have a
slightly higher concentration of water (in ppm) that make them different
than a true tektite. The shaping that is seen in those glasses is not as
nearly as convincing as the Australasian glasses.

 -Ventifacts is the more correct answer. But considering the company that
tektites keeps with our other cosmic collectibles, I'm gonna stick with
pseudo-regmaglypts until someone beats me up.

 - Yes - there are a lot of good documentation that spells out the
composition of tektites. (Get Povenmire's book and McCall's book). The
chemical composition of the tektites is the thing that really drives a lot
of the controversy. The glass, in many cases, is very pure and free of
water - it's hard to say how it was made since it breaks a few of the glass
making rules and regulations :) They have found tektite like material on
the moon (if it was found here on earth no one would have argued that it was
not a tektite), but they are very small. It was thought that the first
trips to the moon would have seen and brought back big, standard lots of
tektites if that is where the originated - but they did not. many people
changed their minds on the lunar origin after the moon landings. When they
found microtektites on the moon, they ascribed them to impacts on the
moon... after all, it is generally accepted that the moon and the earth are
made from each other, so there will always be similarities.

Another fun origin note:
John O'Keefe was another of the proponents of the lunar origin of tektites.
He died in 2000, and on his funeral program he had wanted the following