[meteorite-list] Atmospheric ablation marks on Tektites?

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 08:07:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

Ok, now I figuring out this tektite issue. I want
to thank everyone for their kind informative

First, I had no idea that tektites were so
controversial!

Well, I did have *some* idea, but I thought it was
generally accepted by the meteorite community that
tektites of all types were impact artifacts and were
not the product of atmospheric-entry or
extra-terrestrial processes. I knew that there were
alternate theories for the origins of tektites, but
I thought these theories were mostly fringe in nature
and not commonly accepted by the Met community at
large. It appears I have a lot more reading to do
on tektites.

"Ventifact" does indeed seem to be the best term
available to describe regmaglypt-like features on
LDG and other similar glasses. Features that suggest
orientation or flow-lines are also wind-driven
ventifacts I assume.

As others said though, this does not reasonably
explain
the appearance of "button" tektites of the
Australite variety. Although I must admit, the first
time I saw a button-type tektite, my first thought
was not atmospheric-ablation or sculpting. My first
thought was a splatter-type impact artifact. If you
have ever taken a spoonfull of viscous batter and
dropped it on the floor, the outer edges of the mass
will spread outward while the central area is uplifted
somewhat. I had erringly assumed that similar
physics were at work with the button-types. Perhaps
a massive detonation on impact liquified a combination
of meteorite and earthly-minerals which were blasted
upwards and then fell back to earth - forming into a
button when the material hit the ground again.

Again, I expose my ignorance here. And I am glad I
came to the list with this question. :)

So while we are on the subject and educating a newbie
here, let me ask a couple of tektite-related questions
for the record, so to speak.

1) tektite and impactite - interchangeable terms or
different animals?

2) desert glass, darwin glass - terrestrial or not?

3) When describing aesthetic features present on a
tektite/impactite that resemble atmospheric effects,
should one use the term "pseudo-regmaglypts" or
"ventifacts"? Or should one go ahead and use the
same terminology used to describe these features in
meteorites? (orientation, flowlines, etc)

4) have impactites/tektites ever been studied in-depth
in the lab to determine their exact source? It seems
to me a minor mystery to solve. We can compare
chemistries of specimens to determine a lunar or
martian origin, but we lack the science to determine
where a tektite formed? I'm surprised this is still
a "controversial" issue - modern science has peeled
back the layers of confusion on deeper mysteries
than this.

Thanks in advance for putting up with this newbies
inquiries!

MikeG