[meteorite-list] Fireball ???

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 23:14:05 -0400

Hi All,

I received a phone call today about a possible fireball. Two ranch
hands were riding back while herding cattle when they both saw what
appeared to be a red fireball with a silver tail hit into the side of a
mountain not far from their location. They also saw a large dust cloud
that appeared after impact. They were not able to ride to the area
until the next day due to the time of night and location on the
hillside.The following day they went to the area but were unable to
find anything. I have been told that most meteorites burnout before
entering the atmosphere. What are the chances of this being a meteorite
,or more likely be space junk? Would it be worth the time to
investigate? I will have more information tomorrow due to the phone
service in the area.

Sonny

www.nevadameteorites.com