[meteorite-list] OT - Waaaayyyyyy OT

From: Pat Brown <radio_ranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:57:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Gary,

I wish you good luck in your battle.

I would also like to add to and to amplify your
message. There are two PSA tests. The inexpensive one
that is used for routine screening is called the
_Total PSA Test_. Usually this will be of some value
in determining if you have active prostate cancer,
however this is not true for all men.

There is a significant range in an individual's Total
PSA test results and an absolute level is not a high
confidence indicator of whether an individual has
active prostate cancer. The Total PSA test should be a
regular part of your annual physical. Having a number
of tests 1 year apart establishes a baseline for YOU.
Change from these baseline levels is more important
than the absolute value.

Be aware that there is a very strong genetic
pre-disposition in prostate cancer risk. If you have a
pattern of prostate cancer in your family, get an
additional blood test called _Free PSA_. This is a
more expensive test, but it is much more sensitive
than the Total PSA test. The ratio of the Total PSA to
Free PSA is a much better diagnostic indicator of the
presence of active prostate cancer.

The reason I know about this is that my father died of
early onset agressive prostate cencer at the age of
64. He was diagnosed at age 55 and the cancer had
already started to spread, making it inoperable. His
PSA never got higher than 4.0ng/ml, even with very
active prostate cancer. My younger brother caught his
case of prostate cancer early enough to be cured via
operation. He is alive today because he did both tests
and established a baseline.

Your doctor may argue against routine PSA tests, as
there is aome risk of a false positive if your Total
PSA number is higher than 4.0ng/ml. It is also true
that if men live long enough they will almost all get
prostate cancer. BUT, the prostate cancer that men get
at age 80 , 90 etc. is generally a very non-agressive
cancer and few of these older men will die of prostate
cancer.

So, get tested for _Total PSA_ early and establish a
baseline.

If there is a history of prostate cancer in your
family (you will have to ask several relatives, as
often people of the greatest generation do not talk
about such things), get both the _Total PSA_ and the
_Free PSA_ tests as part of your annual physical.
Create a baseline for you.

Pat Brown
p.s. I am not a doctor or medical professional, I am
an engineer that wants to be an informed patient.