[meteorite-list] Stolen meteorite for sale?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:29:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Darryl, list, all -

Darryl, please excuse the brusqueness of my earlier
reply. There was something in your note which caught
my irritation.

I think it is appropriate for me to share with you now
what little I know of what shall be called in the rest
of this note "The Principle of Bad Luck", despite my
own limited knowledge of it.

I can not remember if I learned of "The Principle of
Bad Luck" while reading through materials while
working on "Man and Impact in the Americas"; I
certainly learned of it latter from those who I now
consult as guides in these matters.

The first time that I verified "The Principle of Bad
Luck" was in Olmstead, Illinois, near to the junction
of the Ohio River and Mississippi River. While having
lunch in the local general store, a heavy equipment
operator relayed to me that he had bull-dozed down a
mound at a farmer's request. "My God, that's bad
luck", I noted, and then spent the next 20 minutes
listening to his tale of woe. At the end of his
recitation he affirmed that he would never do anything
like that again, but instead would simply walk off the
job. He then bought a signed copy of my book "Man and
Impact in the Americas" from me.

Among the "arrowhead collectors" who have spoken with
me while I sold "Man and Impact in the Americas" at
public pow-wows, "The Principle of Bad Luck" was
universally held, and they would never even consider
violating a burial to satisfy their lusts for lithics.
I do not know whether their knowledge was gained from
experience or learned by them from others. Most would
not even hunt a village site, unless it were in danger
of being lost, but instead confined their passion to
the surrounding fields and already lost settlements.

Of course, whether these collectors' statements were
made from shame, or whether those who had violated
"The Principle of Bad Luck" were simply no longer
around to speak with me, I do not know.

Also, as all of this evidence is anecdotal, a more
"controlled" observation is necessary for a scientific
verification of "The Principle of Bad Luck". The Nazis
engaged in human experimentation; I don't know how you
feel about it, but it seems to me I've discharged my
obligation to warn you.

If you feel compelled to do so, join the dataset.

On the other hand, by the symmetrical "Principle of
Good Luck", if some wealthy individual were to buy the
Williamette piece and re-unite the child with its
mother, so to speak, they would bring very "good luck"
on themselves, as well as geta nice tax break.

Given that larger irons have hit the Earth, and may do
so again, killing large numbers of people, it seems to
me appropriate if small thin slices of Williamette are
held for scientific purposes.

These are my thoughts on Williamette. What has
concerned me for some time is Casa Grande.

While the removal of Casa Grande from its home in
Arizona to safe storage was appropriate in the 1890's,
as tourists then were hacking off piece of it for
souvenirs, I think it is now appropriate for the Casa
Grande meteorite be returned to the observatory at
Casa Grande.

I think that this return would simply involve a
transfer or loan within the federal government.
There is now a National Parks museum next to the
observatory's remains where the meteorite could safely
be held.

Not only would such a move respect the native peoples
of Arizona, it would respect all of the people living
in Arizona today. Additionally, such a move may
relieve the federal government of some "Bad Luck" -
and we could all use some more "Good Luck" from there.

E.P. Grondine