[meteorite-list] Meteorite Times

From: Mark <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:31:49 -0400

Hi List

Been busy fixing up new and old houses for a move and sale so my getting
around to reading the times got put on a back burner til now.

Jim Tobin wrote a great article about unclassified meteorites and what some
have gone through. His comments on freeze-thaw are close to the mark I'd
venture, but it's not water is my guess that is causing them to crack.
Rather, I suspect is those veins of impact or heat created substances which
expand at a different rate than the host matrix from which they evolved. It
does get down to freezing temps at night in the barren wastes which have
little to hold daytime heat in.

What's others think about this and has anyone studied this?

Mark Ferguson