[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Road Trip. New Meteorite Photos, and Hunting!

From: Eric Wichman <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 10:05:55 -0700

Wow!

That's all I can say about our trip this past Labor Day weekend Road
Trip. I am so glad my girlfriend had the idea to get out of the house
this weekend. She called me late Friday from work and said lets go to
Vegas, I suggested we go to Grand Canyon and we were on the road at
midnight. It just so happened that on the way there the Aurigids
Meteor Shower was expected to be seen from the southwest United
States where we just happened to be. Again, all I can say is Wow! I
wrote a short article about the Aurigids Shower on my site and would
love to share it with everyone. It was a beautiful experience. You
can read the article I wrote on the shower here: http://www.meteoritewatch.com/

After seeing the Grand Canyon I suggested we go see Meteor Crater.
After all it was only a few miles down the road. ;) I was amazed at
how BIG it was. I have video and photos the crater and me being a
complete dork. I even made a neat little panoramic photo:
http://www.meteoritewatch.com/images/meteor-crater-800.jpg of the
whole crater from rim to rim which I posted to my home page. You can
use this photo on your web site if you want as long as you leave the
credit to my site.

I bought some "tiny" meteorites for my collection and have posted
them to the site here:
http://www.meteoritewatch.com/meteorite-photos.htm Unfortunately one
of them might not be a meteorite at all. I'll let you guys decide
which one that is.

OUR FIRST METEORITE HUNT:
We traveled all over Arizona and we went on our first Meteorite Hunt
in Franconia! Talk about HOT! Holy cow it was hot out there. It must
have been 100+ in the shade and we went through a 6 pack of water
within 2 hours. We had a blast out there in the desert looking for
meteorites and I was amazed at how many magnetic rocks there were. It
seemed like they were everywhere. I don't have a metal detector yet
so I made myself a magnet stick. Every time I saw a dark or shiny or
crusty rock I stuck the magnet over the rock and most would move
slightly or I would feel the magnetic pull if the rock was buried in
the ground. I have some "possibles" but I don't think any of them are
meteorites. It doesn't really matter to me, I'm happy to get out
there and hunt! I usually get photos of everywhere I go, so it's
funny I didn't get any of Franconia. Next time I go I promise to get
some and post them on the site!

Well, that's about all I can say after all that. You can view all the
cool photos and videos I took from the trip on my site as I post them
over the next few days.

Let me know what you think...

Happy Hunting!

Regards,