[meteorite-list] Peru news - finders keepers

From: Thaddeus Besedin <endophasy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 05:47:26 -0700 (PDT)

You are driven by an interest in the material, surely,
but I think here that you may not have been
translating subtleties of context here as I may have
intend to communicate. I strictly compare Mike's
attitude to that of a trafficker in contraband, except
for his hesitation to control his public declarations
of his ethnic contempt.
To comment on how "value" can become at all, in the
pursuit of accumulation of a natural object, which may
have required more or less labor to locate than an
equally-valued object, I emphasize that, among all
goods and services, no effort to strip the veneer of
commercialization from the fetishized object of
consumption need be made. When meteorite tokens are on
the mind, it is obvious that this list and few other
arenas can alone be held responsible for
value-generation by creating demand without campaign
advertising and branding. Desire to buy is not just
some emanation. We demand far beyond base consumption
as a gesture of identity-building, and to privately
indulge in waste, among other reasons. It is
necessary, then, to manipulate potential buyers that
have only periodic demand for a substitute product,
say car restoration supplies, kites, video games, etc.

To back up with citation something like the
well-known, historically recorded aspirations of Nazi
Germany to become like their predecessor, e.g. the
Holy Roman Empire, is redundant.

Trafficking can also be constituted indirectly, with a
conniving nod to the violators in other places in the
world where sources of material are abundant, yet
enforcement is fraught with corruption, a situation
fortuitously taken advantage of by dealers. If envy is
the reason that authorities arrest people in the
situation that Mike finds himself in, then Mike would
be dead and gone by now.

I munch hummus, by the way. Do you goose-step?

I am not equating Mike himself with traffickers, but
escaping from a country to avoid a possible arrest
that cannot be verified to have possibly, with any
certainty,to have potentially occurred at all, and
with many others seemingly "escaping" with no concern
or fear for some sort of threat to their freedom, is
inconsistent with innocence for every transaction that
Mike has been involved in. He knew that the police had
confiscated property. Property must remain as
evidence. This is tantamount to buying cocaine from a
corrupt cop responsible for inventory of an evidence
locker.
Germany has laws guaranteeing landowners their gifts
from the sky; disparity of political and economic
conditions is such that no comparison can be made to
the conduct of a legal system in another sovereign
country.

Finally, laws should not alone dictate a maximum
degree of ethical self-restraint.
-Thaddeus
--- Martin Altmann <altmann at meteorite-martin.de>