[meteorite-list] MORE COMET HOLMES #3

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 01:00:13 -0500

Hi,

6.7 arc minute is 469,000 km at 17P's distance.
13-17 arc minutes is 910,000 to 1,190,000 km.
The first brightening was observed at Tennerife
just after local midnight, October 24, or about
52-54 hours ago. If the "bright" coma radius is
now 235,000 km, it's been expanding at roughly
4500 km/hour and the extended coma at 10,000
km/hour. Another 24 hours (Friday night) would
add 216,000 km to the "bright" coma diameter, or
685,000 km (9.7 arc minutes). This is about 1/3
of the size of the Full Moon (which is 30 arc
minutes). A second 24 hours of expansion would
take the bright coma up nearly half the size of the
Full Moon. (Of course, the expansion is not necessarily
linear, but it may in fact expand faster than the linear...
for a while.)

Another of tonight's observations posted at the Sky and
Telescope site: From S&T's Alan MacRobert: "Omigod.
thin clouds lit by the full Moon I had to guess where
Perseus was, but I swept around with 10x50 binoculars,
and wham, there was the comet! It's sure not starlike now,
at least not in the 10x binocs with homemade image
stabilization. It's a very sizeable bright fuzz spot, perfectly
round, with a large, brilliant, hazy nucleus and a very sharp
edge to the circular coma. Golden yellow with just a
hint of green. When the clouds finally cleared and I
could see it with the naked eye, it was still starlike to
my vision. Magnitude 2.6 or 2.7." (Apparently you can
just barely see the green, with big enough binoculars.
Carbon monoxide like Hyutake?)

IF (big if) this is a mega-outburst and the brightening lasts
until Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, we will have 1, 2 , and 3
hours of dark sky with the comet in the sky at the beginning
of night before the Moon rises (varies with lattitude). My
local Weather Prophets say clear here by Saturday --- keep
going, Holmesie! May you get big and bright enough that
ordinary people look up and say, "What The H*** is
THAT Thing?"

Sterling K. Webb