[meteorite-list] MORE COMET HOLMES

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:17:39 -0500

Hi, All

    List member Chris Peterson is too busy observing
Holmes to post it here (rightfully), but his website has
excellent pictures of the comet and a lot of up-to-date
information:
http://www.cloudbait.com/gallery/comet/holmes.html

    Everyone mention that a tail "has not yet formed,"
but if you look at the NASA-JPL orbit simulation:
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=17P;orb=1
you'll see that any tail (which by default points away
from the Sun) would point away from the Earth at
a very similar angle. The tail would (will) have to be
fairly long before we got our first glimpse of it and...
the coma is in the way, too.

Sterling K. Webb