[meteorite-list] Holmes [17P], continued

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:01:50 -0500

Hi, Larry, List,

    Stuck under cloud cover so dense that even the
nearly Full Moon does not even make a bright area
behind it, I have only your description and my
imagination to work with, but your observation
could be of what is in effect an "inner" and an
"outer" coma with different densities.

    The reflectivity of the coma is dependent on the
density of the particles making up the coma. The usually
even brightening of the coma toward a "star-like"
condensation (the nucleus) is due to the continuously
increasing density of particles as you proceed toward
the nucleus, and that uniformity is the result of a more
or less constant rate of outflow.

    The appearance of a brighter (hence denser) inner
coma could be the density discontinuity or boundary
between the spreading and dispersing coma of the original
outburst and the expanding "front" of a new and greater
outburst of an increased amount of material that has occurred
more recently and is now expanding outward.

    Wouldn't that be great? I put in my request for a
magnitude 0 or magnitude -1 comet by Saturday night!
Let's have a bigger, better comet (and one that will last
longer than my clouds).

    Larry, if you know the field of view of your scope,
you can estimate the size of the coma. Every arc minute
at the distance of Holmes 17P is 70,680 km across (or
424,000 km per degree).

    Is it bright? Brian Marsden says he's getting nova reports:
"This is a terrific outburst," said Brian Marsden, director
emeritus of the Minor Planet Center, which tracks known
comets and asteroids. "And since it doesn't have a tail right
now, some observers have confused it with a nova. We've
had at least two reports of a new star."

    Go, Holmes!

Sterling K. Webb