[meteorite-list] the new Lodranite confusion

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:29:28 +0200

Yes, Dirk, many thanks.

I already have acquired a small end section of this NWA 2871 from our good
friend Blaine in mid 2006.
I corrected and updated earlier this week its status, based on what Blaine
recently wrote on his monthly list, believing he might be right (or at
least correctly informed) and therefore having already thrown champagne in
the frig.
Although, regarding all your recent comments, it could perhaps have been
wiser to wait now for the new reclassification...but never mind, when
champagne is cold enough, we'll drink it anyway.

Here is the present description of that NWA 2871, as copied fom my
collection catalog:

NWA 2871 (Morocco, Lodranite)(SlowW3), found 2003, End Section, 50% crust,
2.01g
18x14x4 mm, black-brown, mottled end s..Was Acapulcoite (2006) but recently
reclassified as Lodranite (2007) because of the grain size > 045 mm (here:
0.6 to 0.7 mm).
Paired with NWA 2656. tkw: 1 at 3,467 g. BR 06/517

I'll spare you the effort to read the description of my other former
acapulcoites paired with 2871 and that could possibly become lodranites in
future.

More generally, may I suggest we, all who will be in Ensisheim in June
2008, celebrate our new (or future) lodranites in collection by some extra
beer blast ? I've the feeling we might be many of us involved! And perhaps
a special bottle can be set aside for Greg who has an unpaired lodranite!

Btw: if all this mess continues, acapulcoites could rapidly become more
scarce than lodranites, eh ?

Best,

Zelimir

A 07:48 25/10/2007 -0700, drtanuki a ?crit :