[meteorite-list] Coins/Medals/Tokens

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:49:44 +0200

Walter Branch wrote:
>> difference between coins, tokens, medals, and rounds--
>> except for coin collectors.
>
> True. As a stamp and cover collector, I cringe when I hear someone
> call it an envelope when to me it is a "cover."
>
> Also, a first day cover and event cover are not the same thing.
>
> -Walter

I know your feeling, Walter.

As a coin collector since 25 years, this topic has been a painful
experience.

  ;-)

To me a coin is only a coin if it's been issued at nominal value. No
matter what mints and other persons say, any "coin" that is impossible
to get from a bank or mint at nominal value at least once in it's
lifetime is nothing more than a glorified medal. If the nominal value
has nothing to do with the price then it is not currency.

... but that is only my opinion.

I have written this mail a number of times and never sent it, but
finally I had to add to the discussion. I promise, the next message I
write will be about meteorites.

Wait, I know! I will sell my silver dollars as super nova coins. What do
you think?

  :-)

/G?ran