[meteorite-list] Carancas: Impact crater vs. impact hole

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:19:51 -0500

Hi, Bernd, List,

    An excellent attempt at defining the difference,
but as Bernd has pointed out there are characteristics
of both in Carancas. But, Buchward is seeing things
from an "iron" perspective.

    An iron will make a much larger "impact pit"
than any stone ever could, as it takes much more
energy to vaporize iron than it does to vaporize rock.
(The boiling point of iron is 3134 degrees Kelvin,
almost double that of even the toughest rocks.)

    In practical terms, an exploding (vaporizing)
iron impactor would probably have to hit at 8 to
10 km/s to create a vaporizing explosion. Buchwald
mentions a velocity of 5 km/s as an upper limit to
an impact pit. This is because if all the impact energy
were converted to heat with full 100% efficiency, it
would take a 4.2 km/s impact to vaporize rock. In a
real impact, it would take 5 km/s or more to do it.

    In practice, if we had a vast range of craters to examine,
we would find "true" craters made by stones that were
smaller than any "true" crater made by irons, and iron
impact pits larger than the smallest "true" craters made
by stones.

    There's an interesting complication not often thought
about: an iron impact with insufficient energy to vaporize
its own iron can be "hot" enough to vaporize the terrestrial
rocks it impacts! So, it's possible that an iron impactor
could produce a vaporizing cratering explosion that leaves
the impactor (partly) intact! Perhaps this type of crater
would occupy the intermediate range between stone and
iron craters in the case of iron impactors.

    Carancas had "vaporizing" traits: the reported "bright
flash," the mushroom cloud, and the mysterious vapors
all point to a thermal event, but other signs of the heat of
a rock-vapor explosion event are missing. I believe that
what happened is that only the 5% (to maybe) 10%
troilite component of the impactor vaporized (an idea
first posted on the List by Piper R. W. Hollier -- going
to be academic here and credit my sources).

    Troilite vaporizes at a much lower temperature than
rock -- only 427 degrees C. -- but it would produce a
very satisfying explosive shock, excavating the crater,
powdering the impactor, releasing hot sulfur into the
air and the "wet" crater. Troilite is almost unknown in
the terrestrial environment because it breaks down
rapidly at Earth-normal temperatures; vaporized troilite
would chemically combine almost instantly. Even the
"bubbling" in the crater, which everybody immediately
dismissed, can be explained by the short-term reaction
of the troilite-generated (dilute) sulfuric acid in the crater
with the native carbonates and the production of
hydrogen sulfide.

    As for what might be found in the crater itself, I
suggest that nothing but the free iron component will
have remained there, probably having penetrated the
crater "bottom" as far as the native rock allows. Early
descriptions of big pieces picked by local institutions
show a 15% free iron content, much of it (by weight)
in large irregular concentrations (like Portales Valley).
That portion is likely in (or under) the crater still. IF
it were a ten-ton impactor, there could (might) be a
ton of iron down there. (Notice I used the big "if.")

    This type of "semi-vaporizing" explosion has never
been proposed before as far as I know, but the fit of this
"theoretical" model to Carancas is extremely convincing.
(Well, I'm convinced anyway.) An investigation of this
impact could actually contribute something to our scant
knowledge of impact mechanics in the real world, but
instead (if the MSNBC article is to be believed) we get
"ho-hum, another boring H4/5." My, are we spoiled,
or what?

Sterling K. Webb