[meteorite-list] INTERVIEW WITH CARANCAS LOCALS

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:08:00 -0600

Interesting. This supports my belief that this was a relatively low
energy impact- a 2 meter object traveling at 1-2 km/s, not ablating. A
larger parent exploded in the air, contributing to or fully producing
the measured infrasound and seismic signal. A fragment survived and
produced the crater. The parent body protected that fragment, just as
the Sikhote-Alin fragments were protected by being part of a much larger
body until the last few seconds. I expect the estimate of the explosion
being 1km from the witness is on the short side; several kilometers is
more likely, and there's little doubt that most people are totally
incapable of accurately judging the distance to an event like this.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com