[meteorite-list] Jim Kreigh memorial gathering

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:18:52 -0700 (PDT)

My wife and I just returned home from the gathering
here in Tucson at El Charro, where we remembered Jim
Kreigh tonight. It was a very warm gathering, almost
20 of us I think. just about everyone from Tucson and
the surrounding area were here, including some great
friends from the Phoenix area and as far away as Las
Vegas!
What an honor for us to take time out and just get
together to talk meteorites and remember a great man
who welcomed all into his home and life. There were so
many people there, from Dolores Hill to Bob Haag,
Ruben Garcia, Keith Vasquez, Sonny Clary, of course
the Morads, Marvin Killgore, the Wetmores, Geoff
Notkin etc, Keith took like 1000 photos, so you will
all see them soon I am sure! Thanks Keith.

We all just talked about meteorites, the latest news,
of course the Carancas event was a lively part of the
evening's discussion since Bob and I have both been
there. We all told stories about Jim, and Twink had a
HUGE photo album, and lo and behold photos from my
first trip to Gold Basin, when the Schraders and
myself went one time, and got snowed on. Jim and Twink
welcomed us into their nice warm motor-home for hot
cocoa. I had almost forgotten about that, but Jim has
assembled this album with a lot of meteorite-hunting
history in it. Twink also brought a huge bag of Gold
Basin meteorites that they had both collected over the
years, still labeled and numbered, and she let
everyone dig through the bag for pieces to take home,
now everyone will have a Jim Kreigh gold Basin in our
collection, mine will never leave it, it will remain
in the bag as a reminder to me of who found that
strewn field.

 I gotta say, one of my strongest memories of Jim over
the years is how after every new fall I had been to or
special new meteorite I announced, he would call and
come right over to buy a piece a day or two later. He
would always want two pieces, one for himself and one
to share with his friend Twink. I would usually try to
charge him half price, but he already would know my
retail asking price, and would ALWAYS refuse to accept
a discount. He would tell me that he wanted to pay the
same price as everyone else. I would then try to throw
something extra in the deal when he paid. I always
lost that battle, he absolutely refused my attempts.

I really liked that guy, and I am sure he would be
proud of how many friends he had down here. I will
miss seeing him at the Tucson show, walking around
with his Jenson Meteorite book and his collection
notebook. Tucson will be a little more empty without
Jim Kreigh.

Michael Farmer