[meteorite-list] Tucson 2008 - Correct Dates

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:00:56 -0700

Dear Dave, Keith, Matt, Listees:

No disrespect to my pal Keith, but I suggest we disregard the URL
posted earlier:

http://www.tucsongemshowguide.com

It's a knock-off site, and they don't have the show dates correct.

The most comprehensive Tucson guide (apart from "Meteorite Times" of
course) is here:

http://www.tucsonshowguide.com

Please note this site is not fully up-to-date for 2008 yet, but the
main show dates are listed.

The part many of you care about is the Arizona Mineral and Fossil Show,
which is Marty Zinn's operation and encompasses the InnSuites, the
Ramada Inn Limited, etc. That show runs from Feb. 2 through Feb. 16,
2008. The Westward Look show runs from Feb. 8 through Feb. 11, 2008.

The party, the Harvey Awards, and Michael Blood's auction always fall
on the middle weekend each year, which would place them on February 8
and 9 and that will coincide nicely with the short but excellent
Westward Look weekend show. Steve Arnold #1, Cap'n Blood and myself
will put our heads together and finalize those event dates for you.

I suppose this is as good a time as any to mention that I have accepted
the position of Managing Editor and Art Director of the "Tucson
EZ-Guide." That is the colorful, easy-to-use pocket guide which has
been such a hit for the past couple of years. The publishers -- Xpo
Press in Colorado -- are friends and clients and they want the
"EZ-Guide" to be *the* hip Tucson guide. They envision it being
written, designed, and printed right here in Tucson and I just couldn't
bear to say no to that idea : ) My good friend and colleague Lisa
Marie, a well-known silversmith, jeweler, and writer here in Tucson, is
the new ad sales manager. If you have advertised in the guide before
and wish to do so again, please contact Xpo Press. If you wish to
become a new advertiser, please write to me off-List.

This all means two things for me:

1) We intend to produce the best-ever Tucson show guide, and I welcome
any feedback from those of you who have used it in the past.

2) I will have much less free time in 2008 than I have during previous
shows, as the guide is a large undertaking. I will, therefore, not be
able to organize the party, the Harvey Awards, and the rest of it
without some help. I'd hate to see the party and the awards disappear
after -- what is it now? -- seven consecutive years. We no longer have
use of The Copper Club, partly because the manager is one of the rudest
people I have ever met, and partly because the dear old Ramada Inn
University is now some kind of chic student housing resort. So, one or
more of you will have to please step up and help me organize the 2008
party or there isn't going to be one. Volunteers enthusiastically
received. Please write to me off-List.

More Tucson 2008 news when we have it.

Regards to all,

Geoff N.