[meteorite-list] Carancas

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all -

Judging from the Farmer photo, which showed a house in
the distance, and the newspaper report that that house
had been hit by fragments, two points come to mind:
first, the local strewnfield is extensive, and may
yield small pieces for years, and two, Sterling's
comment on back spaliation may hold, with little left
in the crater. But here data precedes theory, so
we'll see.

The unfortunate thing in all of this is that there is
no regular mechanism by which university or scientific
institutions regularly retrieve meteorites, and then
distribute samples. If Farmer or Gregory can recover
their costs and make a profit, why not a public
institution? But we all know how governments work...
and the efficiency of the private sector, which we've
just seen first hand.

The comparison which I blew in my earlier post was
between the recovery at Moss and the recovery at
Taglish Lake.

big questions for which I have no answers...

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas