[meteorite-list] Entry Dynamics in Peru

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 23:43:53 -0500

Hola, Doug,

    I think the variety of reports I've already posted
and then referred to several times, are all that I can
say to your dislike for my reconstruction of the
event. I confess to being somewhat mystified by
your comments.

> The size of the crater, which is rare or even unique...

    Quite to the contrary, it is a textbook normal conical
simple crater with a width/depth ratio of 3:1 (13.4 meters
wide and 4+ meters deep), just like "ideal" theoretical
crater.

> A much better comparison, btw, is Jilin.

    The Carancas crater bears no resemblance to Jilin,
none whatsoever. Jilin is not a crater. Jilin is not even
an impact pit. Jilin is a hole 6 meters deep and less than
2 meters wide. Jilin is a good example of your previous
metaphor of a marble dropped in a snowbank. It was
so slow-moving that it just poked a hole in the dirt.

> what model you have accounts for potato sized
> meteorites (and powder) scattered in and around
> meters from the impact

    The "incredible amount of meteorite powder" Mike
mentioned is not a derivation from a model; it's a witness
statement by someone who was there, an expert witness
at that.

    The mechanism is back-spalling. The shock wave of
impact, originating at the point of impact, extends both
forward into the target material and backward through
the impactor. If the speed of impact exceeds the speed of
sound in the meteoritic material, the expanding shock wave
shreds the meteorite and pushes the distrupting material
back, away from the impact.

    [I insert here the fact that the few tests that have been
performed on meteorites show that the speed of sound is
less in meteorites than in comparable terrestrial rocks. The
more porous the meteorite, the slower the speed of sound
in it. Carancas was a dead duck, I'm afraid.]

    In a truly violent impact, only the central rear portion of
the impactor survives as fragments. In less violent impacts,
the rear quarter, third or more of the impactor is fragmented
and ejected backwards (along with the powdered material
closer to the point of impact). It is found radially distributed
around the crater (or asymetrically if an oblique impact).

    I mentioned Canyon Diablo because Nininger first
elucidated the mechanism, I believe, although I cannot cite
chapter and verse. Googling, I discover that Jay Melosh
claims to have discovered it. Shame, shame. How quickly
they pick, not your bones, but your ideas... once you're dead.
http://www.gsajournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1130%2F1052-5173(2002)012%3C0029%3AGKGA%3E2.0.CO%3B2&ct=1

    Melosh's "Impact Cratering: A Geological Process" is
the standard work on impact mechanics. Amazon Canada has
used copy for only $665.77. I guess it's priceless knowledge.
Well, no; it has a price. And not in crummy US dollars either,
but those rare and valuable Canadian dollars!

> the ablative path for most meteorites stops much, much
> higher than 3800 meters!

    I cited the witness evidence that indicates the ablative path
continued to, or very near to, the crater, so this is another ditto.
And if it was ablating to the ground, it clearly wasn't in free
fall. I quote Jose Machero of INGEMMET (which I've done
before):

        "There was a strong explosion that was felt up to
Desaguadero city 20 km from the impact site. Some window
glasses of the Local Health Center (at 1 km from the site)
were broken."

    An impact that was felt 20 kilometers away does not sound
like "free fall" to me.

    I really like the graph.

    May a Lunar fall gently in your back garden.

Sterling K. Webb