[meteorite-list] Carnacas smoke-trail photos

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:05:43 -0600

Hi Sterling-

I don't place much faith in seismic data as an accurate estimator of
impact size. It is poor at distinguishing between the energy dissipated
at impact and the much larger energy dissipated in the atmosphere. And
there are many uncertainties with respect to the efficiency of energy
conversion during small impacts. I've got three well accepted models,
and they vary over more than an order of magnitude in predicting the
size of impactor in a case like this (but are much closer with respect
to crater aspect ratio).

Anyway, at this point these calculations are really just useful for
estimating a reasonable range of possibilities for the impactor.
Hopefully there is some real data out there somewhere. If all we ever
have to work with is a little shocked material and a few witness
reports, we'll probably never know what happened with any precision.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com