[meteorite-list] Carnacas smoke-trail photos

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:51:44 -0600

What remains to be determined is if this is actually a crater, or just a
big splash. In the first case, some shocked material should show up, and
I think it's likely that nothing is left in the bottom. If there really
is a big meteorite at the bottom, then this probably isn't a crater in
the usual sense (that is, produced by a large energy release as the
parent body explodes/vaporizes).

I don't believe I've seen anything credible to suggest that the water
was actually boiling or steaming. It doesn't take much energy to make a
hole this size in soft ground- probably around 100 kg TNT equivalent.
And that's not enough to heat up that much water very much. So I expect
that any apparent bubbling was nothing more than an effect of ground
water filling in the new hole.

If the recovered material is shocked fragments, it may be structurally
quite different from the parent body.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory