[meteorite-list] Carnacas smoke-trail photos

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:37:30 -0400

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 15:54:57 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Is it indeed possible that a mass of say 3-7 tons
>could cause such intense heat on impact? We think that
>the compression of the soil, in an instant to many
>meteors deep could also cause intense heating.
>Every person we interviewed decribed boiling water,
>lots of steam, and horrible sulfer type smell. The

What I wonder is if maybe the pressure/heat could have caused dissolved gases to
bubble out from the water? So it might not have been at a boiling temperature,
but still bubbling/steaming? Too bad we don't have samples of the groundwater
and soil from the area to see if there is anything weird/extensively poluted
about it.

Also odd, of course, is a fraglie, porus stone as you describe surviving to the
ground big enough and fast enough to make the crater.