[meteorite-list] Titicaca meteorite-- phinally, photos

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:48:57 -0700 (PDT)

It is a real meteorite, the black is not fusion crust,
but rather exposed shock veins. Very interesting
meteorite, and not much will be found. FORGET about
getting crater material, it has been more than two
weeks in horrible water that people are urinating in
for fun! The meteorite is very fragile, very porous,
and will be rotted out already.
I spoke with the landowner, who was our driver for
days, and he told me that no more than 20-30 kilos was
found and most was taken by tourists and locals. We
managed to get some pieces in town from people who had
picked them up, and we all found pieces ourselves with
metal detectors. I found a metal nodule more than 1
cm, weighing 6 grams. Very interesting.
I think it is an H5.
Michael Farmer
Any labs or scientists on this list who want samples,
email me, I will gladly provide.
Mike