[meteorite-list] Son of Rosetta?

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:07:35 -0800

Hi Sterling,

> Was it the CSS's Mt. Lemmon scope? (There are two big
> scopes on Mt. Lemmon; three, if you count the one downhill
> a bit on "Mt. Bigelow").

Yes -- the 1.5-meter f/2.0 at the Steward Observatory about 10 miles
north of Tucson.

> The Ariane 5 upper-stage ATV is 10.3 meters long and 4.51 meters
> in diameter; don't know how reflective it is.

Not that stage. The final stage on the Ariane 5 (the EPS), which is
much smaller:

Ariane 5-2. Gross Mass: 12,500 kg. Empty Mass: 2,700 kg.
Thrust (vac): 27.400 kN (6,160 lbf)
Isp: 324 sec
Burn time: 1,100 sec.
Diameter: 3.96 m
Length: 3.36 m
Propellants: N2O4/MMH. No Engines: 1. Engine: Aestus.
Empty mass without VEB payload fairing support ring and avionics is 1200 kg.

> Trying to Google up Rosetta's flight plan (which has changed more
> often than some people change underwear) suggests (but does not
> state unequivovally) that there are no powered maneuvers until
> the middle of 2011 when the engine will fire to shift the new
> eccentric orbit acquired by this recent (and earlier) flybys to
> one that will match 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko's orbit.

There have been quite a few powered maneuvers -- at least five that
I'm aware of. You always do a burn before and after each planetary
gravity assist: one to fine-tune the approach, one to tweak the
post-encounter result. So there were burns before and after the
first earth flyby, and burns before and after the Mars flyby this
past March. There was also a "deep space" burn in between the
Mars encounter and this latest (second) earth flyby. The burns
themselves don't drastically alter the heliocentric orbit, but
they do have a significant impact on the closest approach to
each planet. Since small changes in planetary close approach
bring about large changes in gravitational bending, the orbits
of the booster and Rosetta would have significantly diverged
following the first earth flyby.

> I wouldn't rule out the launch stage vehicle unless somebody
> had taken a copy of the Rosetta flight data up to launch and
> run a stimulation on it with the upperstage velocity deficit
> (10 cm/s) applied to Rosetta and seen where it would be by
> now. Maybe they've done that already; don't know. There's
> hardly been time.

They (ESA?) says they have, and that the EPS is nowhere near
Rosetta. To double-check, I provided several orbital gurus with
the JPL-Horizon's heliocentric ephemeris as it existed immediately
after shutdown of the Ariane 5 EPS. I was curious where that EPS
is today, and whether it could have had any close encounters with
earth or Mars in the last 3 1/2 years.

> Maybe there are just a lot more objects out there than we
> think there are. Or maybe the Universe just likes to tease us.

I think both of these are true! --Rob